Friday, April 17, 2009

Its great to be eight





" We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remissionof sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the giftof the Holy Ghost. "

Articles of Faith 1:4

"The person who is called of God and has authority from Jesus Christ to baptize, shall go down into the water with the person who has presented himself or herself for baptism, and shall say, calling him or her by name: Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
"Then shall he immerse him or her in the water, and come forth again out of the water"
D&C 20:73–74

This weekend I was privelged to witness my oldest child enter the waters of baptism. As it says in Mosiah 10: 8-10
8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?
As I watched my daughter get dressed in white I thought about my own baptism and the importance it holds in my heart. It was a day of rebirth, a day to covenant with my father in heaven special covenants. A day that I would be blessed with the holy ghost. As I thought about that I was overwhelmed with the spirit and the joy it brought unto my heart that my daughter was following the saviors example and listening to the direction of her parents and teachers to be baptized.
The spirit was strong that day. The day was filled with joy, peace, and assurance of our Savior Jesus christ. When Keith and Diana walked into the waters of baptism, my heart could not have been more proud of my husband and daughter. The spirit wispered unto my daughters soul peace and warmth. I was grateful for the presence of a worth priesthood holder in my home who was able to baptize his daughter.
I am grateful for my daughters choice and her testimony of the gospel. Ever since she was a little girl she has had the hunger and thirst for more. When she was 6 she read through all of our book of mormon readers and wanted to know more. I am amazed at the children that were held back for the latter-days. Their courage, strength and zeal for keeping the commandments is going to strengthen the already weakening moral fibers of the world. They will be a beacon in the storm, to all those who will want to learn of the Savior and his teachings. I am SO proud of my oldest daughter and the example she is unto she associates with. The best teaching we can do today is to be exemplars unto our peers. Diana rose, you did that when you were baptized. Your decision will affect many to follow.
We love you Diana rose and know with out a doubt you were a blessing unto our family. You WILL touch MANY peoples lives with that testimony and knowledge. You were blessed by your father with many special blessings and may you remember those all the days of your life to carry you through the storms and rainbows of life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails