Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Our Keeping Quilt

When I was a little girl, my grandmother made me a quilt with bright blue daisies and yellow butterflies. I opened it up on Christmas morning and loved it immediately. It was the perfect size quilt. I read books, did homework, cried, laughed, and was ill with this quilt. It became a source of comfort for me growing up. It went on family camping trips, vacations, girls camp, hospital trips, and sleepovers. It became my "keeping" quilt.


One of my absolute favorite books to read to my children is "The Keeping Quilt" by P. Polacco. It is about a family quilt that was passed down from one generation to the next and the family significance it holds. The quilt in the book is used for weddings, babies and celebrations. My quilt will probably never be used in a wedding, or a birthday celebration but mine has seen some tender moments that are dear to my heart.
Each one of my babies was wrapped in this quilt. I remember specifically the way Diana rubbed her cheek along the soft and worn fabric as I nursed her. Each child now asks for the blanket when they are sick, scared of monsters or want to snuggle with mom and dad. It is a source of comfort and it has been heart warming to know that I was able to share some thing so dear from my childhood with my children.


Grandma, thank you for my keeping quilt. My quilt has seen tears, babies, laughs, hugs, frustration, spit up, but most of all LOVE.


It is now is "our" family keeping quilt.

1 comment:

Mikael@starter home to dream home said...

I saw you are following me now and the "LDS mom with 3 busy kids" caught my eye... because the is EXACTLY ME! I am glad to have you follow along :) Don't go too crazy with those kids (i do most days... and just break down and decorate!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails