Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bucket List

Have you ever seen the movie "The bucket List"?  I haven't personally but I like the concept of a bucket list, a list that represents what you want to accomplish in your life. What I find appealing about them is that no two bucket lists will ever be the same. We're all different with our own likes, dislikes, quirks and temperaments. Our back grounds, childhoods, families help create and shape who we are and what we want to achieve. When I was 16 and more disciplined at writing in my journal every night, I sat and thought to myself, what do I want to achieve in my life? What values do I want to represent? Will I be bold and strong enough to endure life's trials to not be side tracked?

Hard questions for a 16 year old.


*picture of me when I was 16 - I was the one in the "shortalls"*

When looking for the answers it was simple to answer because of my relationship with God and my Savior. I knew his source of strength and love would be there every step of the way, even when I would not want to go any further. President Monson said "Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows."

Let me share a few of my goals that I wrote on my "Bucket List" when I was 16:

I want to be sealed in the Temple
I want to have an eternal family ( I wrote 6 kids with a smiley face....?!?!?!?!)
I want to be the best mother who teaches her children what they need to know to return to their heavenly father again.
I want to bungee jump (um, yeah...NO. Not happening, never will!)
I want to learn how to ride a motorcycle when I am 90 (interesting)
I want to have my own business
I want to read the bible.
I want to snorkel in Hawaii
I want to stand on the great wall of china
I want to run a marathon for a purpose
I want to go to Europe
I want to serve the youth of our church
I want to be an example to others
I want to be a teacher (yeah that one changed)
I want to see my grandfather someday and give him a big hug ( I still miss him dearly ).
I want to be Young women's or RS president
I want to learn how to ski without killing myself (lol...my friend Brianne can tell you how bad I am at it!)
I want to snowmobile
I want to meet my dads family.

I will end it there as my list was 50 items long and some are very personal to me. I cherish this list. Today it still makes me pause and think "Am I where I need to be?" "Am I the person, who I thought or want to be?"
I challenge you to make a "bucket list." It is fun to see the dreams and ambitions that are there, waiting to be explored! I have even added to mine over the years.

 Find joy on the journey, in the small and big successes of life!

So today I ask....what's on your bucket list? =-)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I actually started doing one of these just a couple weeks ago "To do before I am 30" I know I won't get to all of them before I am 30, but you get the point :)

Michaelangelo said...

I wrote a list like that when I was about 16 too... now I look at it and think "Have I really changed that much???"

You should add to yours-- "A relaxing bath that lasts at least 30 minutes uninterrupted" :)

A LDS mother to five busy kids said...

Jenny - Cool idea for the list!

And yeah I should add having a relaxing bath for at least 30 mins ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails