Sunday, October 18, 2009

What was that???



When we were newlyweds and living in married student housing, I was excited to cook for my husband. I wanted to wow him with my homemaking and kitchen skills, whipping up culinary creations that would please his pallet. Did that happen you ask? Was he impressed with his wife's cooking skills? Did I create culinary masterpieces like Martha, Rachael, or Paula? Heavens no!
I was young, 19 and did not know my way around a kitchen at ALL!


One night I wanted to impress my husband by turning our leftovers into a delicious concoction as his mother often did. I took the pot of left over spaghetti and dumped all of its contents into a 9x13 baking dish. I then proceeded to make a batch of Bisquick dough and dumped large blobs of it on top, making what I thought was spaghetti pie. I pre-heated the oven to a perfect 375, and proudly sprinkled Parmesan cheese all over the top. I put it in the oven to cook to perfection.

30 minutes later I smell smoke.

Clue one that that this was going to be a DISASTER of a dish.

Clue number two: I take it out of the oven to behold burnt mounts of Bisquick dough all over dried out spaghetti. I quickly dump melted butter all over the top to soften the Bisquick dough.

Seriously, could it get any worse at this point.

My husband comes in from the pouring rain, returning from class. I have the table all set and ready to go, scooping out some "spaghetti pie" onto his and mine plate. He lifts his fork and puts a bite into his mouth. "interesting" he says. "what is it?" "Spaghetti Pie" I reply proudly until I taste a bite only to reveal the utterly and horrible goopy mess.

Clue number three: The Bisquick had liquefied into the noodles. The noodles were rock hard and the top was burnt! I wanted to cry. Could I ever learn how to cook???

It has been years since that incident of "spaghetti pie" and to this day my husband and I still laugh about it. It was GROSS. The worst thing I have ever tasted. Liquefied Bisquick over hard spaghetti noodles, certainly is not a culinary masterpiece. The reason I write this down is because this morning I made sausage with maple syrup, homemade biscuits with whipped butter and freezer jam, and cheesy hash browns. My husband, patted my arm and said "whew, I thought I was going to starve there for awhile. You have become a wonderful cook Rachel. You have come a long way since we first got married!"

I laughed and will have to agree!

I have come A LONG WAY!
P.S Don't put Bisquick dough over day old spaghetti noodles.
Its gross.
=)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails